Monday, July 1, 2013

Self help?

Self-help is a popular idea that implies we can become whatever we want to become—without help from anyone. This speaks to the essence of what we long for: to be the self-made man.But this desire for self-sufficiency isn't all it's cracked up to be. Case in point: it helped pave the way for sin to enter the world. The lure of knowing all God knows drew Eve into [wrong] thinking. Dependence on her Creator seemed limiting, not freeing.Lest you think I'm throwing Eve under the bus, we all follow in her footsteps seeking knowledge that will empower us apart from God. We relegate him to certain times and spaces in our lives, insisting on handling the rest by ourselves. We fail to realize that building a life apart from God would mean, well, a life apart from God.

Key Study Passage: Galatians 3:1-5

Prayer :

Heavenly Father, forgive me when I try to live my faith on my own power; change me from the inside out so that the fruit of your Spirit (Gal. 5:22-23) will be evident in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment